No longer do amusement parks and extravagant resorts dominate a kid’s ‘to do’ list.
This year ABC Travel Guides for Kids filled its Top 7 US Family Destination for 2013 guide with museums and foodie dream places.
Washington DC topped the list for its zoo and its 19 Smithsonian while San Diego wooed youngeons with its sun and food.
To round off each destination, ABC Travel Guides for Kids also nominated a top place to stay for those enjoying a family friendly vacation.
- Annual events, the National Zoo and 19 Smithsonian Museums and Galleries are sure keep every taste entertained on their adventure to Washington
- Stay At: Renaissance Mayflower
San Diego, CA
- For those looking for a bit of fun in the sun, San Diego is a great place to visit with over 110 kilometres of beach to explore. Whilst the towels are drying, families can also visit the Zoo, the “Smithsonian of the West” – Balboa Park, LegoLand and Sea World, as well as other family friendly museums. For good food and hand-made tortillas, visit Old town and find the best views in La Jolla, Del Mar and Coronado.
- Stay At: Manchester Grand Hyatt
- Start preparing the kids for university with a visit to Harvard Museum of Natural History or take the little ones to the Boston Children’s Museum. Other places of interest include the Museum of Science and New England Aquarium as well as a visit to Fenway Park. For a relaxing day, take a walk on the Freedom Trail or ride on a Swan Boat in the Public Garden.
- Stay At: Omni Parker House
New Orleans, LA
- Delicious food, a copious amount of fun and a city filled with history, New Orleans has something for everyone. From the Butterfly Garden and the Insectarium, to the Louisiana Children’s Museum, kids will continuously be entertained. For bright colours visit Blaine Kern’s Mardi Gras World and don’t forget the Preservation Hall for a bit of history.
- Stay At: Sheraton New Orleans Hotel
- A foodies haven, the Miami Culinary Tour with Grace Della is sure to tickle all taste buds, whilst Little Havana and Domino Park will help expose kids to the vibrant Cuban food and culture. The Historic Redland Train and the Art Deco district of South Beach, will help entertain the older kids as the little ones enjoy Miami’s sunny weather.
- Stay At: Palms Hotel and Spa
Niagara County, New York
- If you’re visiting Niagara Falls, make sure you stop by the small towns as well to enhance your experience. Try Lewiston, Lockport and North Tonawanda for some family fun and visit Old Fort Niagara and the Niagara Power Project Power Vista Visitor Centre to learn about the importance of the region. Families can also enjoy going fruit picking at Becker Farms as well as eat frozen custard from Hibbards.
- Stay At: Barton Hill Hotel and Spa
- Whilst amusement parks, gardens and a zoo are definitely worth a visit, let’s be honest – you go to Hershey for the chocolate! At Hershey’s Chocolate World, the ‘Sweetest Place on Earth’, you can enjoy a free chocolate factory tour ride, see Hershey’s Really Big 3D movie and of course sample the goodies, amongst other activities. Also, don’t forget to get the kids to wave hello to the reigning champions of American Hockey League, the Hershey Bears.
- Stay At: Hershey Hotel or Hershey Lodge